Friday, January 11, 2008

Colin Meloy Sings Morrissey


It's probably a safe bet that most Decemberists fans are unaware of frontman Colin Meloy's solo cover projects. Being a fan of the Decemberists, a fan of Morrissey, and partial to acoustic songs, I really enjoy his Morrissey cover EP. It didn't garner great reviews from certain large media outlets (i.e.Pitchfork), but they're wrong. Its home-recording style and the acoustic guitar arrangements have a visceral indie appeal. The imperfections and mistakes just make it more accessible- they add a camaraderie not usually attained in the studio.
Highlights would be Jack the Ripper(absolutely amazing), Sister I'm a Poet, and Every Day is Like Sunday.

Tracklist-
  1. I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
  2. Pregnant for the Last Time
  3. Jack the Ripper
  4. I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
  5. Sister I'm a Poet
  6. Everyday Is Like Sunday
Luckily for us, the whole thing is available in mp3 from the Internet Archive.
Click here for a direct link to the zip file.

No comments: